Monday, September 17, 2007

Migrated to Australia

"Thousands are sailing ..." - Shane McGowan

I migrated to Australia this month to settle with my wife, who has lived here for a couple of years. It is great to be in my new home and to start learning all about Australian culture. I have been here a few times before but it is a very different oppertunity to live here! The best part is finaly being with Marian full time. We married here a year ago in McLaren Vale and being apart has been very painful.

It is curious how many Brits are migrating these days. I suppose I have become sensitized and notice the news stories etc. The main reason people seem to give is the M25.

I am sad to have left Cranfield University and the UK higher educational scene in general. I really enjoyed teaching Information Systems and Knowledge Management at Cranfield. It will be really interesting to see how Australian academia compares. The good news on a work-related front is that Campus-Wide Information Systems are happy for me to carry on as assistant editor from here. I am planning to manage themed issues on Australian e-learning, Chinese e-learning, ELGG and Web 2.0 in the USA.

Postcript: my cat Skippy has now arrived from England and is mousing like a good un. Marian and I are loving Frematle and especially the Frematle Arts Centre. We have tickets for Dave Hole and the Indigo Girls.

No comments: