Thursday, September 11, 2008

Oh Maggie, I wish I'd never seen your face

"Oh Maggie I wish I'd never seen your face ..."
- Rod Stewart only as performed by The Pogues

I'm just back from Syndey. I was staying in the Spanish Quater in Liverpool Street, where the Tapas is good and Comics Kingdom is a trasure trove. I visted Red Eye Records and bought the new Pogues boxed set, which is something magic. Everyone should have one. Their version of Maggie May is 'worth the dying' as James Crumley once wrote of the rockies.

And talking of Liverpool and Maggie, here are some fine words that a certain Pogues producer once wrote about a Maggie I wish I had never seen:

"Well I hope I dont die too soon

I pray the lord my soul to save
Oh Ill be a good boy, Im trying so hard to behave
Because theres one thing I know, Id like to liveLong enough to savour
Thats when they finally put you in the ground
I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down ..." - Elvis Costello

Fair play to you Elvis, fair play!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you liked one of my fave city's. Your Pogues thoughts got me thinking, of the last time I saw Shane... More here Asher Rospigliosi :: Blog :: Dr Simon Shurville in Sydney with the "Mashed up students with their heads in the cloud"